Choosing the Right Weight Loss Diet for Women
Women have a tendency to put on weight after 30 as their metabolism slows down. Weight gain is also common in women who have passed menopause.
Weight loss diets for women work on the same principle as they do for men – eat fewer calories than you burn. However, women’s bodies are different than men’s.
Women also have certain dietary needs that must be considered when choosing a weight loss diet.
Diets can be tailored for weight loss or weight gain. If you are trying to lose weight you must first determine how many calories you must consume each day to be able to lose one or two pounds per week.
This will depend on your age, current weight, and level of physical activity. Your diet should allow you to lose weight in a safe and sensible manner.
Choosing the Right Diet
“Fad” diets are not helpful because they are usually unhealthy and designed to be temporary. Women who want to lose weight and keep it off should remember that diets are a lifestyle choice.
Choose a diet plan that you are willing to keep your whole life. Any other kind of diet is doomed to fail.
The following tips will show you what to look for in a weight loss diet for women:
- Choose a diet that you can live with for the rest of your life. Some weight loss diets for women recommend eating several meals a day. If this is not possible or practical for you, find another diet plan. Many diets recommend home cooked meals. If you travel a lot and must eat at restaurants often, find alternative ways to diet.
- Pick a diet that includes foods you like. Remember that your weight loss diet is for keeps. You should be able to follow your diet for the rest of your life. The recommended foods in your diet should be readily available and affordable.
- Your diet should be able to provide all the nutrients you need for overall health. Women are prone to osteoporosis therefore your weight loss diet should include adequate amounts of calcium as well as other minerals and vitamins.
A Healthy Weight Loss Diet
Because a diet is a lifestyle choice, make sure the food choices are delicious yet nutritious.
Here are some things women can do as part of their weight loss diet:
- Cut down on carbohydrates, especially pastries, sweetened fruit juices, soda, and sugary recipes. Load up on complex carbohydrates such as oats, whole grain bread and pastas, and brown rice.
- Reduce your consumption of saturated fats but do not cut out fats completely. Your body needs dietary fats to absorb certain vitamins and for certain metabolic functions. Consume healthy fats found in olive oil, flaxseed oil, salmon, and nuts.
- Consume large quantities of vegetables and fruits for fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Don’t forget to eat adequate amounts of protein. Excellent protein sources include lean meat, chicken, fish, and eggs.
Diets work only if you can stick to them. Your weight loss diet should allow some degree of flexibility so you can enjoy eating at parties.
When choosing weight loss diets for women, take your lifestyle into consideration and make sure you’ll be able to follow the diet for life.